Sought out for their individuality and ability to make an impact on attendees, unusual event venues such as a private yacht or airport hangar are growing in popularity. According to renowned urban architect James Corner, there is a trend towards reclaiming old spaces for new, innovative uses.
“As cities struggle to find available land for new development projects, there is a counter-movement that is reinvigorating existing urban infrastructure and buildings that in many cases have been neglected and fallen into disuse,” says Corner. There is now a desire to revive rather than rebuild and that is making unusual spaces more accessible than ever before.
Spanning wind, land, sea, and centuries, here are a few of our favorite unusual venues.
1. Airstream in bohemian warehouse – San Francisco, CA
2. Airport hangar – Los Angeles, CA
3. French castle – San Francisco, CA
4. Redwood cabin – San Francisco, CA
5. Vintage trailer – Los Angeles, CA
6. Luxury yacht – Los Angeles, CA
7. Urban distillery – Seattle, WA
8. Rustic barn – Bay Area, CA
9. Contemporary bank vault – New York City, NY
10. Majestic palace – Los Angeles, CA
11. Beach bungalow record store – Los Angeles, CA
12. Repurposed cargo container – San Francisco, CA
13. Vintage car museum – Austin, TX