33 Unique Catering Ideas to Try at Your Next Event
Looking for some unique catering ideas for your next gathering? We get it! Food is the best motivator. Whether you’re providing lunch for a corporate event or simply feeding a large group, unique catering ideas can really make any meal a memorable one.
Food is a personal experience. A shared meal is a conduit between people, turning strangers into friends. And don’t forget about the nutritional aspect of eating. The right food can increase productivity, particularly important for business meetings. Therefore, having a few unique catering ideas in your back pocket can’t possibly hurt!
Before settling on a catering menu idea, there are a few factors to consider including the event space. And it just so happens that you’ve come to the right place for that, too! After all, Peerspace is the largest online marketplace for hourly event space rentals. We have thousands of stunning and practical spaces that you can book for any type of event you want. You can also consult your venue’s local host about your best local catering options. Some venues provide their own catering services and provide food and bar staff.
With all that said, here are the most unique catering menu ideas for corporate retreats, cocktail parties, team workshops, lunch meetings, or any other type of event you are organizing. We’ll pair each idea up with photos of equally stunning Peerspace event venues that you can book for your event today.
Top of the morning
They say breakfast is the most important meal of the day. And rightfully so.
When thinking of catering menu ideas, get creative with breakfast. It really sets the tone for the events of the day. Look at the schedule and overall theme of the event when contemplating catering design ideas for options that fit the bills.
And remember that some of your guests will have dietary restrictions, whether they have a nut allergy, go gluten-free, or follow a plant-based lifestyle.
Here are some of our favorite unique catering ideas for breakfast:
- Power breakfast of smoothies and acai bowls — Your guests will surely get an energy kick from this fun catering idea.
- All-American breakfast of biscuits, meats, and eggs — Serve comfort food like this to get people talking.
- Waffle bar with sweet and savory toppings — This one requires several stations to keep the lines moving but guests will gush over the variety of toppings.
- French toast and sausage kebabs — Cute, savory, and easy to eat will on the go.
- Miniature breakfast skillets — If you’re serving a more buffet-style meal, consider mini skillets over the tired scoops of rubbery, scrambled eggs.
- Avocado toast with toppings — This trendy food is popular for good reason. Topped with flavored salts, radishes, and cucumbers make this cold option ideal.
- Carb-free stuffed breakfast tomatoes — For restrictive diets, stuffed roasted veggies are equally filling as a bagel.
Nibbles on the go
When planning food catering for events, don’t worry about sticking to three square meals. Use pockets of time between meetings, seminars, or workshops to give guests a chance to relax. This is a great time to offer small snacks they can eat while preparing for the next item on the itinerary.
Here are some of our favorite unique catering ideas for portable bites that you can pre-portion prior to serving:
- Trail mix — If your guests have 10 minutes or less to replenish themselves, offer this energy-packed snack.
- Soft pretzel bar — Give guests the opportunity to refuel with warm savory and sweet pretzel bits.
- Grilled cheese spears and tomato soup shooters — A fun version of a childhood staple
- Carb-free lettuce boats with salsa or hummus — This satisfying snack will feel like an indulgence.
- Fruit cups — Never underestimate this easy and budget-friendly option.
- Crunchy kale chips and chickpeas — Crunchy snacks have an appeal that’s so enjoyable it will have your guests reaching for more.
Check out these creative lunch catering ideas to nail your next daytime event!
When looking at fun and unique catering ideas, customization is key. People love having the opportunity to think about toppings and make their own flavorful creations. The creative aspect is also a built-in conversation starter for guests. You’ll soon enough have people mingling as they discuss what they’ll be eating.
Here are some of our favorite unique catering ideas for customizable dishes:
- Taco trucks — Half the fun in serving this is watching guests ooh and aww over fresh salsa and tacos.
- Mac and cheese with mix-ins — This unique catering idea will have guests talking about their favorite combinations.
- Poke — Add edamame and crispy seaweed strips over your favorite raw fish and sushi rice. What’s not to love?
- Nacho bar — This bar food staple is sure to have your guests let their hair down and relax in the company of others.
- Massive charcuterie board — One look at this visually appealing smorgasbord and your guests will happily eat it up.
When you’re feeding the masses, keeping your catering menu ideas for large groups on the simpler side is a good rule of thumb. Instead of having customization, serve a variety of well-labeled options and keep your condiments on a separate table. This helps navigate the flow of people huddled around the food.
Here are some of our favorite unique catering ideas for crowd-pleasers:
- Mini sliders — Whether it’s hamburgers, chicken parm, or crab cakes, mini sliders are a delightful and delicious way to feed crowds.
- Festival-inspired food — Add a carnival effect to your event with unique (and sometimes fried) combinations like corn dogs, fried peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, and the like.
- Wraps buffet — Easier to eat than sandwiches, wraps make for great lunch fare.
- Salads on skewers — Serve up on veggies on a stick. Without a fork, guests can use their other hand to hold drinks and converse easier.
- Bruschetta — Diced heirloom and Roma tomatoes with fresh garlic, onions, basil, and olive oil make the start of a wonderful meal. Guests will have fun trying a variety of topped bruschetta.
- Tapas — If you’re pouring sangria, a Spanish-style catering menu is absolutely necessary. Serve up tiny croquettes, wedges of tortilla, and ham and cheese over hard toast.
- Steamed buns — Have your guests eat savory pork or veggie steamed buns for a meal that’s delectable.
- Indoor picnic — Think little jars of potato salad, deviled eggs, and bite-size chicken salad sandwiches. All that’s missing is a blanket on the ground to make yourself comfortable.
- Seafood bar — Serve up a variety of shellfish for your guests. It’s a pricey catering menu idea that definitely gets noticed.
Saving the best for last. When it comes to unique catering menu ideas for dessert, keep in mind to offer dairy-free options as well. It’s easy to overlook dietary restrictions when you’ve got dessert on the mind. But trust us, your guests will appreciate inclusive menu options.
Here are some of our favorite unique catering ideas for desserts:
- Rice pudding — Serving up this sweet treat will be a return to childhood for many guests. Have dried fruit, nuts, and cookie crumbles to serve as a topping.
- Sweet waffle sandwiches — A Belgium delight, bite-size waffles go well with just about anything.
- Mini milkshake shooters — When you can’t go to the soda shop, bring it to your guests. Spoons and straws are a must if you’re serving up thick, creamy milkshakes.
- Sno cones — Eyes will light up as guests get rainbow-colored snow cones. Expect to see these on Instagram!
- Mini bags of cookies — Make dessert double as a goodie bag with tiny satchels of cookies guests can enjoy now or later.
- S’mores bar — Who doesn’t love a DIY s’mores bar? All you need are marshmallows, graham crackers, chocolate, and some fire.
Bonus idea: creative serving
Creative serving options are some of the most unique catering ideas for 2023. As a whole, this simply means thinking of ways to package and deliver your catered goods in a way that makes your guests feel comfortable and safe.
For instance, you can create individually wrapped plates of snacks, cookies, and even full meals to serve throughout your event. This allows guests to help themselves to one wrapped meal, thereby preventing buffet line-like crowding at the serving area.
Your guests will be thrilled you’ve prioritized their health and safety. Plus, it serves as an added bonus for you. Individually served plates allow for extra branding opportunities. A company like U Printing can set you up with custom-branded boxes, sleeves, and labels to adorn your tasty pre-packaged edibles.
Unique catering ideas that charm your guests and enhance your brand message are very now, and that’s unlikely to change any time soon!
Planning an epic holiday soiree? Then you need to see our holiday party planning tips that ensure you throw the best bash ever!
Unique catering ideas come together easier with Peerspace
You can make any of these unique catering ideas easier on you and your budget by booking a well-equipped Peerspace venue for your event.
As we mentioned earlier, you can book a Peerspace venue that is perfect for your event in terms of location, price, size, and style, and that also offers you thoughtful amenities, like catering and staffing.
So what types of Peerspaces offer it all? Here are some of our favorites:
- This Marin County meeting and event space in Novato, CA (pictured above) with full-service catering and an on-site team ready to help
- This unique, quirky, and private cafe in Seattle, WA with customizable food and beverage catering and on-site staff
- This garden-style event space in Vancouver, BC with on-site catering services, banquet tables, chairs, and linens
- This award-winning modern corporate event space in Manhattan, NY with food and drink catering services and optional staffing
- This unique African-inspired venue in London, UK with customizable corporate and canape menus and on-site staff
- This downtown event space with river and city views in Chicago, IL with onsite catering and optional staffing services
As you can see, you can easily find Peerspace venues that offer you everything you need for your event — a gorgeous setting, helpful staff, and delicious catering! Find a stylish Peerspace event venue near you with a host that provides customizable food and drink menus and you’ll be well on your way to hosting a curated event with the tastiest, unique catering ideas.
Unique catering ideas: conclusion
We hope this list of unique catering ideas has inspired you and your next event. We also hope you didn’t read it on an empty stomach! And remember, there are even more ways Peerspace can help you create your dream event.
First, find the perfect event venue with Peerspace. We have hundreds of stunning event spaces in thousands of cities across North America and beyond. Then, consult your host to make life simpler by taking care of any additional services you might need. From ordering catering to finding a bartender, our team works with hand-selected vendors giving you one less piece of the puzzle to worry about.
Whether you book an elegant loft or a gourmet restaurant through Peerspace, we can take the stress of catering off your hands. Many of the restaurants, bars, and cafes on Peerspace include incredible catering options for you to peruse. Some even include their own wait and bar staff! After all, you have the other aspects of your event to plan. Let us handle the rest!