You can still party at 60! But you may just need a few 60th birthday party ideas to get the ball rolling. With age comes stability, harmony, and wisdom, which includes the wisdom to know that, as Millenials say, you only live once! Now is the time to safely indulge in some of those things you’ve always wanted to do but didn’t have the time to do so.
Luckily, you’ve landed on Peerspace, the largest online marketplace for hourly venue rentals. Use our platform to book a sensational birthday party venue, and half the work will already be done!
Not only that, but when you book a Peerspace, you have the venue’s local host at your side. They are dedicated to ensuring that your time in their space goes off without a hitch and can even help you score catering and other party necessities upon request. Party planning has never been easier (or more fun)!
Now, let’s get back to our list. We get to live 60 seconds in every minute, 60 minutes in every hour — following are 10 unforgettable 60th birthday party ideas to help you live each one of those seconds to their fullest potential!
1. Post-Prohibition party
Check out Peerspace during your planning process to find unique and exciting venues you never knew you wanted! An intimate speakeasy in New York, for example, blends a decadent history with contemporary charm.
Invite guests to “dapper up” in suits and flapper dresses that allow movement for dancing to live jazz (or recordings of Ella Fitzgerald). Hire a doorman who requires a secret knock and password to allow entry. Make sure the lighting is dim and drinks are strong, served in cut crystal goblets. They say the darker the spirit, the lighter the mood!
Not planning on being in NYC for your 60th? No problem! Peerspace has plenty of other incredible speakeasies in other cities.
- This speakeasy bar and lounge with a bookshelf wall in Fort Lauderdale, FL that’s semi-private, with natural light, dark reading nooks, and plenty of seating for 30
- This designer Castro cocktail lounge in San Francisco, CA with speakeasy vibes, room for 100 guests, and a mix of indoor and outdoor spaces
- This minimalist speakeasy in Chicago’s West Loop with space for 30, vintage vibes, and bar and lounge seating
- This speakeasy-inspired tasting room in Austin, TX with club seating, a sound system, optional catering services, and an outdoor area, with space for 50 guests
- This hidden speakeasy cabaret in New Westminster, BC with seating for 30, a stage, vintage props, and an optional magic show add-on service from the host
- This speakeasy bar lounge in the heart of Soho, London, UK with space for 40 guests, a kitchen, comfy seating, an outdoor space, and a sultry ambiance
As you can see, Peerspace offers you access to speakeasy-inspired venues across the globe. All of our spaces are owned by local hosts who strive to ensure your event goes off perfectly. No matter where you’re located, we make it easy to book a venue that fits your milestone birthday celebration! Get started here.
2. Wine harvest
Stomp grapes and enjoy a wine tasting at a local winery. You can also find a sensational winery in your desired location on Peerspace to make tracking down and booking a space seamless.
Here are a few of our favorites in cities across the globe that you can book through Peerspace:
- This vineyard event space in St. Helena, CA (pictured above) for up to 200 people, with a historic stone cellar and art gallery
- This Hudson Valley wine cellar in Montgomery, NY for up to 30 people with a tasting table, billiards and darts, and the optional overnight accommodations
- This Napa Valley wine cellar in St. Charles, IL, for up to 125 people with an on-site wine expert, wood-beamed ceilings, and an outdoor patio
- This luxurious wine bar with Georgian/Victorian style in Glebe, NSW, Aus for up to 35 guests with a private dining room and an outdoor courtyard
- This elegant wine tasting room in Bellevue, WA with seating for 20 guests, A/V equipment, and a glamorous setting
- This modern wine bar in Half Moon Bay, CA for up to 35 people with optional cheese platters, hors d’oeuvres, and meals, local craft beers, games, and tons of natural light
- This midtown rustic wine cellar in Vero Beach, FL for up to 75 people, with catering and plenty of seating
Book your favorite venue, and then start planning the event. You can also choose to go al fresco and pack a picnic basket with wine-friendly snacks: crackers and cheese, fruits and cured meats, and bittersweet chocolate.
Provide each attendee with an insulated, stemless wine glass and a small, flannel lap blanket since wine harvest happens in the fall. Bonus points if the winery has a fire pit for you to use.
3. Garden party
Farm tables strewn with fresh flowers and mismatched crystal, boho garland and lights strung between the trees, hand-macrame covers on the guest of honor’s chair. Sangria in a rainbow of colors and a farmer’s market-inspired menu.
Opt for favors like custom-labeled essential oils for relaxation and calm. This is an elegant, charming idea that keeps you and your guests in the fresh air, surrounded by nature. When it’s time to go home, release fire lanterns to send guests off into the night.
Don’t have the most charming backyard garden? No worries! Peerspace provides you access to gorgeous gardens in venues across the world. Search your location to see what you can find!
Our 12 timeless 60th birthday photoshoot ideas will help you capture the big day brilliantly!
Friends are like diamonds. Diamonds are forever. Whatever the saying, diamonds are a fitting theme for 60th birthday party ideas.
Model a sparkling luncheon off of The Blue Box Cafe, housed at Tiffany & Co. in New York City. Set tables in Tiffany blue and gray with white and rhinestone accents. Borrow inspiration from their menu: caviar and lobster, edible gold leaf, and petits fours served alongside champagne cocktails and bubbly non-alcoholic refreshments.
Take this idea and run with it using our opulent-casual denim and diamonds party ideas!
5. Distillery tour and dinner
Just like local wineries and craft breweries, distilleries are cropping up everywhere! Distilling spirits is an art form that requires patience and care. Visit and engage in the process, then have dinner with courses paired with the house favorites. If you ask nicely, your hosts may offer a mixology class, too!
Gift your guests with a stainless steel shaker and strainer, perhaps a zester, and a mini version of a professional bartender’s handbook.
You can also book a tour and tasting at a local distillery by using Peerspace. It will guarantee you find a fun place with the perfect amenities, minus the hidden fees.
6. Attend an outdoor music festival
Live music is a 60th birthday party idea that is good for the soul! The Burning Man festival has much to offer to the ever-growing 60+ set, and it’s great if you can get there. If that doesn’t toot your horn, check out summer music opportunities across the country.
Charter a party bus, stock it with food and drink, and truck your friends to a bluegrass and BBQ festival or a wine and jazz weekend. Beach towns like Asbury Park, NJ, open summer stages to host national acts in the open air. Even Prospect Park, Brooklyn, has loads of free concerts in the summer. Along with spending time with your favorite people, you’ll support local vendors and artists in the city you visit.
7. Bucket list
This is as close as we’ll get to “Over the Hill-themed” 60th birthday party ideas! What have you always wanted to do but never took the time to carry out? We’re not talking about bungee jumping or walking a tightrope across Niagara Falls (although those are great ideas, too). Instead, consider the little things that always fell by the wayside as too frivolous or unimportant and center a party around that.
Not sure where to get started? Find workshop spaces on Peerspace near you. Peruse the listings, check out photos and reviews, and book whatever strikes your fancy. If your venue is missing anything, such as necessary equipment or catering, contact your venue’s host to see how they can help.
Not sure which workshop spaces may be ideal for you? Then check out these popular options:
- This large and bright art studio in Los Angeles, CA consisting of seven spaces for rehearsals, yoga class, collaborative projects, and more
- This spacious, multi-use creative space in Brooklyn, NYC ideal for private parties, pop-up shops, karaoke night, and more
- This open-concept creative space in Toronto, ON with a lounge, high ceilings, custom-built arches, rotating furniture, and a beauty bar
- This light-filled creative space in Austin, TX with communal seating, plants, a kitchen, A/V equipment, and outdoor space
- This chic meeting space with feminine flair in Atlanta, GA with a conference room, cozy seating, and grass walls
- This workshop and meeting space in Chicago, IL ideal for photography/film classes, thanks to its cyc wall, light grid, projector, and more
- This amazing creative space in Paris, FR ideal for creative gatherings, with multiple break-out spaces, a kitchen, a projector, and a huge indoor slide
Book one of these venues and celebrate by scheduling a creative workshop for you and your friends: belly dancing or oil painting; learn to roll sushi or brew beer. Spend an afternoon learning how to do stand-up with an improv troupe or write a short story during a one-day intensive class.
Depending on the space you book, the host may have helpful on-site options or ideas on how to make your workshop amazing.
It’s never too early to start planning your next milestone, so check out these 12 lovely 65th birthday ideas!
8. Laser tag
Everyone wants to be a kid again! Laser tag is competitive and high energy but doesn’t include projectiles like paintball. Guests should be instructed to arrive in black T-shirts, split the group into teams, and play the best games out of three.
Have a middle school-inspired meal of grown-up pizza pies and beautiful cupcakes when you’re ready for a break. Fill takeaway goodie bags with hard candies and liquor-filled truffles, Puravida “friendship” bracelets, fidget spinners, and itty-bitty sketch pads.
9. Scavenger hunt
Throwback to the good ol’ days when a scavenger hunt involved collecting actual items rather than simply taking pictures of them — or a combination of the two. Plan your own adult-style scavenger hunt. Create a list of items to hunt that require skill, patience, and maybe some quick talking on the part of the attendees.
Make sure to split up the most highly competitive in your group to give everyone a fair shake. The more creative the list, the more fun the after-party! Give each participant the tools they’ll need to accomplish their tasks, whether that means paper and crayons, rolls of quarters, or items with which to barter. Hilarity guaranteed!
Bonus idea: Relax at a Peerspace!
A unique 60th birthday party idea that can suit every group is to book a retreat-style Peerspace venue! The genius of this idea is that it can be anything you want.
Here are some birthday retreat ideas for you:
- You can book a beachside studio overlooking the sea.
- Or a stunning mansion with a huge outdoor pool.
- How about a cozy cabin in the woods steeped in nature and relaxation?
- Maybe you and your friends want to book an artist loft and take endless photos of your time together in an eclectic space.
All you have to do is search your city, include any filters you like, such as pools and fire pits, and see what pops up. Check out all the photos, reviews, and detailed descriptions of each listing. It’s fun to search and so easy to book!
You can find a birthday retreat space that is completely private and meets the needs of you and your crew. And don’t forget, you can also enlist the help of the venue’s host and explain how you’d like help securing rental extras for your party. The choices are endless on Peerspace!
60th birthday party ideas come to life with Peerspace
No matter how you envision your 60th birthday, it’s easy to see how helpful booking a Peerspace venue for the occasion can be. First of all, it allows you to book a stunning private space that suits your style just about anywhere in the world you like! Plus, since bookings are by the hour, you can save a lot of money compared to other sites that charge you by the day.
It’s also easy to do! Simply click the link, type in your location or destination, and see what pops up. Each space has its own listing that includes a detailed description, beautiful photos, genuine reviews from past renters, and upfront pricing.
You can contact the host with any questions if need be and book the space when you’re ready. Once you do, you’ll have access to a space you can call your own for a few hours. A space that allows you and your loved ones to celebrate all of your 60th birthday party ideas in a safe, clean, and welcoming environment. How cool is that?!
Looking for surprise party ideas? We have you covered there, too! Check out our step-by-step guide to planning an epic surprise party
Find unique birthday party venues on Peerspace
Get together somewhere better
Book thousands of unique spaces directly from local hosts.Explore Spaces
Share your space and start earning
Join thousands of hosts renting their space for meetings, events, and photo shoots.List Your Space